Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Is TV Harmful to my Baby?


Am I a bad parent for letting my child watch TV?

I often ask myself this question, and I know other parents do too.

I will admit it. I sometimes let my baby watch tv for about 20 minutes a day (not every day).  I know it isn't supposed to be formative for her and have read that children under 2 years old should never watch television. Ever.  And yet still, I will let her watch. Not because I want a break. Not because I can't wait until she is asleep before watching my shows. It's because she seems to enjoy it! My daughter smiles and sways her arms about whenever a song comes on. She cuddles her blankie, sticks her thumb in her mouth, and leans back to watch one of her morning cartoons (Sophia the First, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse).  So the question I ask myself is: am I a bad parent for endulging her, when studies say I should not? There are days when I say yes (no tv today, babygirl) and days when I say no (you can watch the hot dog song one more time). 


What about you? 
I think all of us parents would like to know what other parents are doing - either to make us feel better or to help us change our ways.
  • Do you let your babies, toddlers, and/or children watch TV? 
  • How much TV are they allowed to watch in a day? 
  • What are their favorite television shows?
Or, take the survey on this topic, which you can access on the homepage.

There are a lot of studies out there that state the negatives of allowing children to watch television.  We've all read them... and yet many of us still allow our children some TV.

Comment here what your TV rules are and let us know what your stance is on the topic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment